What are the Google Platform Tools? Well to put it simply they are a set of tools which are essential if you plan to mess around with your android smart phone. These set of tools interface with the android platform through tools like adb, fastboot and systrace. These are tools you would definitely need if you plan to install custom ROM’s on your android smart phones.
You can download the latest version of the Google platform tools from the link given below. The link is the official link on the Android site. It has links for different operating systems.
These tools are required to access the phone especially when you have messed up the Custom ROM installation. In case your phone is ‘dead’ or not responding. Please note these tools are common for all android phones.
Follow the steps as described on the site to install on your PC. This is important as you would need the tools to be fully functional when running on your PC.
Download the Google Platform Tools for various operating systems:
Extract the downloaded platform tools package to any folder you like (e.g. your home directory or the standard applications directory). Now you need to add this directory to the PATH of your operating system, enabling you to call the tools from any folder. Depending on your Operating system this can be achieved differently:
- Download and install the Universal adb driver.
- Press [WIN] + [PAUSE] to open the “System” window
- On the left, click the “Advanced system settings” button
- Open the “Advanced” tab
- At the bottom of this tab, click the “Environment Variables” button
- Edit the “PATH” variable and append a semicolon followed by the path you extracted your tools to (e.g. ;C:UsersAndyadb-fastbootplatform-tools)
- Reboot your PC
- Depending on your distribution the “.bash_profile” or the “.profile” file in your home folder and add following lines substituing the path with the path where you extraced your tools
if [ -d "$HOME/adb-fastboot/platform-tools" ] ; then
- Log out and back in
Read Articles on
Why install a custom ROM on a Xiaomi MiA1
OEM unlocking and enabling developer options
Unlocking the bootloader of Xiaomi phones